St Andrew’s has a Learning Support/Special Needs Department that provides support to students from Prep to Year 12.
The provision of support follows guidelines as set out in the Diocesan Inclusive Practices Policy (2010) and the Disability Standards for Education (2005). This concept of inclusion is “based on the provision of an educational environment that promotes the human dignity of each student. ‘Inclusive practices value the diversity of students, recognise their rights, provide equitable access to the curriculum and work towards meeting their educational needs within a supportive Christian community’ (P1, 2010).
To deliver these services, the Department provides a Head of Department, Learning Support Teachers and Learning Support Officers for Prep to Year 12.
The College currently has six Learning Support Teachers (LSTs) who may act as Case Managers for students who have been verified with a disability and/or offer support to students with specific needs in Literacy and Numeracy.
The LSTs work closely with classroom teachers who have the day to day responsibility for the educational development of students in their classes.
The role of the LST includes;
- Liaising with parents and teachers in identifying the needs of their students;
- Up-skilling teachers and learning support officers in their support of students at risk;
- Assisting teachers in developing intervention strategies designed to assist students at risk;
- Assisting teachers in their task of effectively diagnosing areas of concern in literacy and numeracy of particular students;
- Specific teaching of intervention strategies to specifically identified students at risk, either individually or in small groups;
- Assisting teachers in effectively implementing Individual Education and Support Programs for specific students; and
- Liaising with visiting specialists such as Advisory Visiting Teachers, Speech Pathologists, Occupational Therapists and other organisations including the Cerebral Palsy, Diabetes and Epilepsy Associations.
Parents should contact Mrs Janet Noonan, Head of Department - Learning Support (firstname.lastname@example.org) if they have any queries regarding the needs of their child.